Information for companies
The Prize has helped discover and launch the careers of over 150 talented young stage designers. It offers an unparalleled opportunity for exposure and success at a crucial moment in their career.
In each biennial cycle the Prize:
- Gives 12 finalists the opportunity to showcase their work as part of a month-long exhibition at the National Theatre;
- Gives each of the four winners a cash prize and, more importantly, a commission to work with a highly-regarded British company on an opera, theatre or dance production;
- Works in partnership with the four commissioning companies, each of which receives sponsorship towards the realised production.
The 2017 Prize is open to final year students in 2017, and graduates from 2016, from theatre design courses in the UK.
In respect of each of the four Commissioning Companies, the following arrangements will apply:
- The 3 finalists working with the Company will each receive a contribution to living expenses for the period August - November of around £2,000.
- The winning designer will receive a cash prize.
- The Company will receive sponsorship of up to £12,000 towards the costs of the production. Of this, £4,500 is the design fee payable to the designer. The balance of up to £7,500 is intended to be supplemental to the Company’s normal production and design budget.
KEY DATES (provisional)
October 2016 - 12pm, Friday 3 March 2017
Receipt of applications from Companies
Monday 27 March 2017 *
Commissioning Companies selected by interview. Interviews take place at the National Theatre.
Companies wishing to apply for 2015 will be asked by the Linbury Prize Committee to present outline details of the production they would like to offer as a commission to the potential winner.
10 July 2017
Deadline for receipt of applications by candidates
24 July 2017 *
Directors of Commissioning Companies each interview all short-listed candidates (up to 20) and select 3 finalists each. Interviews take place at the National Theatre.
August - November 2017
Directors/ work with their designers on their chosen production
November/December 2017 *
Exhibition of finalists' work at National Theatre; Final judging day and prize-giving evening
*Attendance by Artistic Director / Choreographer essential at these stages
Please download the application form and return it by post or email to:
Fran Miller, Linbury Prize Administration, c/o National Theatre, Upper Ground, South Bank, London SE1 9PX or email email@example.com